Hi dear friends and family,
We’ve started 2017 and as it has become a tradition, we had our annual member’s meeting at La Fuente. A dear sister from the church put together the video below. We are in awe and praising God for what He did in a really busy and exciting year.
We praise God as….
- La Fuente moved to a new locale
- La Fuente launched 2 new community groups
- We were able to clear our first container with CHF and the start of a Mercy Network in Quito
- We hosted another module of pastoral and leadership training with our friends of Compassion Connection.
- The launching of the Biblical Counseling class (and the request of other churches in the country and region wanting for us to provide them with the material)
- La Fuente started a partnership with a local soup kitchen
- The church took a trip to our daughter/sister plant in the jungle
- And many things more!
Please take a moment to see the following video!
News and how you can you be praying for us.
- Continue to pray for our family. Baby Willow is such a joy and we are loving being parents to this little one. Pray that we would continue to work hard on our first ministry that is our little family.
- I am preaching (J) through 1 Peter and it has been such a blessing to see how La Fuente is interacting with God’s Word. The church is growing in having an eternal perspective and an identity as exiles of this earth.
- Please pray for wisdom in my role (J) as pastor of La Fuente in a season of a lot of changes and transition. Please also pray for wisdom as our dream of seeing LF as the launching pad to help other churches locally is starting to become a reality.
- With the help of some partners and the church, I am going to Shepherds Conference with two brothers from LF (one of them is an elder candidate). We have a busy agenda! Also pray for other brothers that couldn’t make it because they couldn’t get visas. We pray we can have a group from LF in the future!
- Pray for wisdom as we navigate the various opportunities with Biblical Counseling. In the next few months, we are helping ACBC run their first ever Spanish Phase 1 training online. Also, in April we are providing a Biblical Counseling Course that includes not only the video classes, but reading, memorization, projects, etc. At this point we have 6 churches in 2 Latin American countries excited to start!
- We have been praying for opportunities to see Ecuadorian brothers and sisters grab a hold of God’s heart for the nations. God seems to be starting to answer that prayer as recently a few young men have been asking about missions and I was invited to go to Kusel, Germany to visit a missionary internship program. Pray for wisdom and clarity as we consider this as a great opportunity for Ecuadorian men and women to get a cross-cultural experience.
- As mentioned previously, La Fuente is going through a growth spurt and with it there are many transitions. Some key leaders are transitioning in different ways and we pray and trust that God will raise up leaders for his church.
Love you guys! Please feel free to email us if you would want more information or if you just want to say hi. It’s always great to hear from you!
Grace and peace,
J, Marissa and Willow
P.S. Thank you for partnering with us!
Dear Friends and Family,
Life has changed a lot since our last update email about 5 months ago. We recommend watching the video above (it has some cute pictures of our baby!)
For those of you that can’t watch the video here is a bit of a summary…
Family life- The Lord is so gracious and after 9 months of waiting our baby is now with us! Willow Hope Moncayo was born on June 21st. Baby and mom are doing great. Mom and dad are getting used to this exciting beautiful new season of life. We are praying for Willow’s salvation and enjoying every moment of this special time.
In other news, Jota started last year of Seminary in August. This last year is focused on an Internship at La Fuente (something that he has been doing since day one). By God’s grace we were also able to find a car. We have gotten by without a car for 6 years in Ecuador, but with baby Willow, we really need one. We are also excited for how the car will facilitate ministry in many ways.
Biblical Counseling Videos- We finished translating about 30 hours of Biblical counseling videos. The translation included voice-overs, translation of notes, slides and extra handouts. Please pray that this would be a helpful resource for the churches in Latin America.
La Fuente- Things at La Fuente are really busy and it is an exciting year. We moved to a new locale, launched two new community groups, had baptisms, welcomed new members and are in the process of major transition. Please pray for Jota as he was asked to take the lead pastor role starting in October.
Biblical Counseling Class- The videos are a great resource but videos don’t equip counselors alone. Jota took all the materials translated for the videos and is in the process of creating a 9 month curriculum to train biblical counselors. The class includes watching the videos, doing readings, working through a personal sanctification project, Bible memorization and watching counseling observations. We started with module one last week and about 20 people signed up!
CHF- Please pray as we are receiving a visit of Children’s Hunger Fund later this month. We are praying and hoping to start a Mercy Network in our city that La Fuente will lead.
We are so thankful to the Lord for each and every one of you. Thank you for your continued love, encouragement, support and prayers. Please let us know how we can be praying for you and we encourage you think how the Lord might be leading you to partner to what He is doing in Ecuador or around the world!
Jota & Marissa
UPDATE: As we were finishing this email, our city had another earthquake. Please pray for us. It’s been hard to sleep well and we are learning to trust the Lord in this season.
Dear Friends and Family,
Greetings from some windy days in Quito-Ecuador. It’s been awhile since sending our last update email and this will be an interesting one to share.
On one hand… God is working and the gospel is transforming lives and opening doors.
Once a month we take a Community Group night to have an Equipping Community Group. These are sweet times to learn about practical issues of how the Word of God speaks to specific areas of life. It’s been great for the church and especially as we are developing leaders.
Jota officially became the preaching pastor of La Fuente and has been preaching through the Gospel of Luke and also has taken a few weeks to preach some messages that have been pastoral in nature to our young church.
We hosted a time of fellowship and encouragement with the Servant Leaders of the church.
We had our first baby dedication of 2015! Our dear friends have gone through so much and it was such a great time of celebration.
We were happy to celebrated the graduation of 3 of our dorm “daughters” (back when we were dorm parents). As well as Jota’s cousin, Juan David.
La Fuente will be hosting our first conference July 6th-7th. We are excited for what the Lord will do as we found out that the Pope will be doing a “historical” visit to Ecuador on the same days. The theme of the conference is the centrality of the word of God and we can’t think of a better topic because of the events going on in the city. PLEASE PRAY for the conference. We just found out last week that the mayor will shut down the city and transportation will be really hard. Pray that people can make it and that the Lord will bring those He wants to be there. A team from The Bible Church of Brownsburg, Indiana will be coming down to work alongside the team from La Fuente for the conference. We are very excited to have them with us!
Here is an interview in Spanish that Jota did with The Gospel Coalition for the event.
Marissa has had the joy of going through “Overcoming Fear, Worry and Anxiety” By Elyse Fitzpatrick with some of the women from La Fuente. We are so excited that during our last trip to the states, we were able to pick up several copies of it in Spanish!
Marissa just finished a long season of taking Spanish classes. The classes have been a huge blessing and Maris has been meeting and counseling ladies both in English and Spanish. Please continue to pray for that important informal ministry.
We have been reading through “Leading with Love” by Alexander Strauch together. We would recommend this book to anyone in leadership. Chapter by chapter, it makes it’s way through the description of love in 1 Corinthians 13 and how it should be applied within any form of leadership.
On the other hand…
The Lord has been teaching us a lot about trusting him. Not only on day to day ministry as we are growing as young missionaries, planning a conference in the context of protests and the Pope visiting… but also in the financial area.
As we shared in our last email, we were in the U.S. for 2 months to work on some paper work for immigration and to focus on raising support. Our goal was to raise our monthly support in order to finally meet our monthly goal as well as to accommodate the growth of the ministry. The trip was discouraging in that area as we didn’t meet our goal (we received two new monthly supporters, which we praise God for!) and upon returning to Ecuador we found both that the government had enforced extra taxes (hence the article linked above concerning the protests). We also lost one of our strong supporters that is going through a transition of their own.
Please pray for wisdom as we need to restructure our budget. Today we shared with Maris’ Spanish teacher that we won’t be able to continue classes. Please pray for us to trust the Lord during this time. Also, would you prayerfully consider partnering with us financially or could connecting us with someone that might be looking to get involved in God’s work overseas? If you would like to hear more details or talk to us, we’ll be glad to skype or call you.
Trusting the Lord in the midst of an exciting and interesting season,
J and Marissa